The Masterplan submitted to support the application identifies the design principles for the proposal, which has been produced following a thorough assessment of the constraints and opportunities of the site; planning policy requirements, and the immediate context.
The design principles are;
- Retention of existing mature landscape features around the perimeter of the site. Suitable off-set distances to proposed dwellings to ensure tree route protection areas are not impacted.
- Retention of existing soft landscaping assets along the eastern boundary to ensure they form part of the public realm and to ease on-going maintenance.
- Inclusion of specially designed dwellings to turn corners within site.
- Lower density development adjacent the exposed northern boundary to provide a suitable interface with the wider landscape.
- Dwellings sited to provide active frontages to proposed streets, public open space and areas of public realm created within scheme.
- Dwellings sited to terminate important vistas within site.
- Outward looking development along Addington’s Road to provide an attractive frontage to the existing road.
- Inclusion of a soft landscaping buffer to ‘gap up’ the northern boundary to provide a suitable development interface and assist in integration of the built form.
- A surface water balancing area and wildflower planting within the pubic open space will provide ecological enhancement.
- A new footpath link provided along Addington’s Road to link the development site with the village facilities.
- The proposals present an opportunity to secure a number of net gains in biodiversity, including additional native tree and shrub planting, potential wetland creation, new roosting opportunities for bats and nesting opportunities for birds.
- Development will back onto existing residential property along southern, western (part) and northern boundary. This will enclose existing rear gardens to provide greater security and ensure amenity of existing dwellings is respected.
- Centrally located public open space ‘green core’ will act as development focal point.
- Surface water balancing area surrounded by public open space will provide an attractive ‘green entrance’ into the development.
- Dwellings sited to enclose centrally located public open space. Higher density within site core.
- Special dwelling designed at site entrance to define gateway into new development.
View the plans below. Click or hover on the images to view larger versions.